A couple of weeks ago we asked for your help with the latest addition to our Digital Galleries – Barney Kieran Gallery (Champion Swimmer of the World). We asked if you had photos (or other information) to contribute that would complement the current content and as a result get your name in lights. It turns out light bulbs have been very effective for this particular mission.
We have been delighted with the response and impressed with your efforts! To date we have received (in order):
- information about Barney’s tombstone at Gore Hill Cemetery from Rhonda Cetta-Hoye…
- …which in turn led to Bob Meade finding it and photographing it
- a photo of Barney on the Sobraon – nautical training ship and industrial school/reformatory where he was sent as a 13 year old boy from Marcelle Jacobs at the NSW Hall of Champions
- a photo of Cockatoo Island where Barney trained from Janette Pelosi
Two more contributions are on their way. We will update the status here as they are added. In the meantime, check out the Gallery.
UPDATE: 14 Feb - the two additons have been added to the Gallery:
- Farewell Concert Program – held in Sydney before Barney went to England to compete – from Hazel Brombey, (Past) President Cape Banks Family History Society
- Photograph of the Kieran Memorial Shield – awarded annually to the successful state in the Australian swimming championships – by Liz Avery, Records and Events Coordinator, Swimming Australia Ltd.