Archives Outside

For people who love, use and manage archives

Archives Outside - For people who love, use and manage  archives

Archives Outside is now 2 years old

Sunday is the official day but why not celebrate a little early? With over 200 posts and almost 900 comments we’d like to say a big Thank You to everyone; for writing, reading, visiting and participating!

Happy Birthday!

And a Happy Birthday to Archives Outside – to the bloggers, guest posters, commenters, readers and lurkers. Lurkers? Yes, lurkers! We have declared this to be a new and exciting day in our calendar – today is now the official Archives Outside Annual Lurkers Day.

Are you a lurker, by definition?

Wikipedia says:

In Internet culture, a lurker is a person who reads discussions on a message board, newsgroup, chatroom, file sharing or other interactive system, but rarely or never participates actively. Research indicates that “lurkers make up over 90% of online groups”…

We don’t bite

We want to let you know that even though you might not comment here we appreciate you visiting all the same. We don’t want to force you to comment if you’d prefer to simply read the posts here…but in case you change your mind… in case you’ve been wanting to take that tiny step towards making a comment, we want you to know that de-lurkification is possible.

Silhouette

De-lurk yourself

It won’t hurt. All our friends here who do comment are really very lovely. We think you’re lovely too, even if you want to remain in lurk-land, that’s ok.

A virtual hug

This is very easy to do.

Simply scroll to the end of this post where it says Leave a Reply and type in your Name, Email (never, ever published) and a message in the big box. If you tick “Notify me of followup comments via email” you’ll see the replies that are made after yours in your inbox. A virtual hug goes both ways; you’ll definitely see a follow up comment :-)

Come and say “Hello!”
Got a smartphone? Scan this code.

Category: General
  • beachcomberaustralia says:

Happy Birthday Two You Archiver Outside!

And to all lurkers . . .
    B O O !
    Happy Archives Outside Annual Lurkers Day.

May 19, 2011 at 4:27 pm
  • pellethepoet says:

Hi Anthea,

I’ve created a sequence of ‘Moments in Time’ galleries on Flickr to gather together all of the photos featured, with links to the blog posts (hopefully generate some more lurkers for you!). However there are two that don’t seem to have been posted to Flickr. I’ve left two spaces for them in “Part 2″

Digital ID: 4481_a026_000742
    Digital ID: 4481_a026_000754

It was fun revisiting them all … http://www.flickr.com/photos/pellethepoet/galleries/72157626757001606/

Happy Birthday to all at Archives Outside! Do us non-lurkers get a hug too? :)

May 20, 2011 at 2:17 am
  • Anthea Brown says:

Thank you @beachomberaustralia! Don’t scare off our lurkers now, you hear :-D

@pellethepoet oh, yes, hugs all ’round I think! Thank you for putting those Flickr Galleries together; they look wonderful. I’ll add those missing two images to the Flickr upload I’m preparing now.

May 20, 2011 at 8:36 am
  • Debbie says:

Happy Birthday! I agree – this is a warm & fuzzy place to post.

Glad you mentioned the notification check box. I’ve never received notifications and I’m sure I checked the box on at least some of the messages =). I always get the Archives Outside news though.

Could someone test this for me? I definitely checked the box today!

Thanks

May 20, 2011 at 11:58 am
  • Fiona Sullivan says:

Hi Debbie, Thanks so much for the birthday wishes :-). Here’s a test of that check box for you!

@beachcomberaustralia thanks for the scary greetings lol!

@pellethpoet that montage was a great trip down memory lane. I hadn’t realised how many there were! I think my favourite is the plague clean up photo. For some reason it reminds me of the Wild West.

PS Has anyone with a smartphone (with free barcode scanner app installed) found the hidden message in the barcode above??

May 20, 2011 at 4:58 pm
  • pellethepoet says:

@Debbie – For the first time I decided to check the box and subscribe to this entry, and I haven’t received any of the follow up comments in my inbox …

@Fiona Sullivan – That would have to be my favourite too, if only because of beachcomberaustralia’s remarkable Troving.

May 20, 2011 at 8:02 pm
  • Rhonda Cetta-Hoye says:

Your Baby ( Archives Outside ) is growing so quickly. Happy 2nd Birthday, oh! how well I remember then day it was born.
    It certainly a lovely family to belong to.
    An old saying comes to mind,
    ” Be Alert, the world needs more Lerts. ”
    Congratulations Rhonda Cetta-Hoye

May 22, 2011 at 8:28 am
  • Anthea Brown says:

Mmm…looks like I’ll have to find a different “Subscribe to Comments” plugin….unless you got this comment in your Inbox?

@Rhonda Cetta-Hoye, thanks for the birthday wishes; I love Lerts!

BTW We haven’t had many people with smartphones scanning the barcode at the bottom of the post. There’s something special awaiting the first 10 people who do ;-)

May 23, 2011 at 8:08 am
  • Richard Lehane says:

Happy birthday archives outside!

If you are unlucky, like me, and don’t have a smart phone you can still decode the barcode by copying the image and submitting it to an online decoder such as http://zxing.org/w/decode.jspx

May 23, 2011 at 10:26 am
  • Debbie says:

Nope… definitely no notifications in my inbox :(

At least I’m in fine company :)

May 23, 2011 at 12:54 pm
  • Anthea Brown says:

That’s a great trick to know, Richard, thanks for sharing. Now everyone has a good chance of finding the secret message.

May 23, 2011 at 2:08 pm
  • hack minion rush says:

We’re a flock a group of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community.
    Your website offered us with helpful helpful information and work on .
    You have a formidable process and our all the neighborhood will
    probably be thankful to you .
    Unquestionably believe which you stated . Your favorite
    justification seemed to be at the web simple thing to bear in mind
    remember of . I tell you , i definitely annoyed think issues
    clear that not realize about . You controlled and also defined on all managed to hit
    the nail on the top without having side-effects , people could take a signal.
    Will probably be again to get more. Thanks

April 15, 2014 at 2:25 am