This is the second blog post in the series on women’s voluntary services in Wagga Wagga and looks at the work of the Womens Australian National Service (WANS).
Inaugural gathering in 1940
The inaugural gathering of Wagga women who were interested in training in the different branches of the Women’s Australian National Service (WANS) was held at the Capitol Theatre on July 5, 1940.
The area officer was Miss Dorothy Davidson of the Gurwood Street School, assisted by Mrs Kath Higgins of Wollundry Avenue, who later became Commandant.
WANS break down traditional barriers
It was not easy for women to break into the traditionally male dominated fields, so the WANS trained rigorously in many different areas. The motor transport course consisted of weekly lectures as well as practical work and ran for a period of three and a half months. It was essential for recruits to have held a driver’s license for at least twelve months and that they should be of “good physique”.
Mr Harvey from Browne Bros Motors had trained similar groups in the past and offered his expertise to the WANS.
Business firms and the Council also assisted by lending trucks and, with this cooperation, the women were able to accompany regular drivers which enabled them to gain the valuable experience necessary to pass the examinations to obtain their motor mechanic’s certificate.
The WANS contribution to the salvage collections which were delivered to Sydney for the Mayor’s Patriotic Fund was reported to be invaluable.
Ambulances, Canoeing & Camoflague
Mr MP Loth, Superintendent of Wagga District Ambulance, stressed the importance of working smoothly and having poise and confidence in an emergency.
He instructed the WANS and the Voluntary Aid Detachment (VAD) together for stretcher practice to encourage the girls to feel comfortable with other groups; this also helped them with the Home Nursing course.
In 1942, the canoeing unit was training on a regular basis and thirty Wagga WANS members were engaged in the making of camouflage nets.
In addition to all their training, the WANS members worked with a will and enthusiasm to raise funds by making and selling goods for market days and running card parties; each platoon was also responsible for holding fund-raising dances on a regular basis.
WANS demonstrate their skills to members of public
The WANS members demonstrated their excellent training in December 1942 when, under the command of Mrs Kath Higgins, they were able to display their work to 150 people present on the evening.
They wore their smart blue uniforms and they marched to the flagpole in formation and were led by a bugler and drummers.
As well as drill and first aid competitions, they also demonstrated their ambulance work. Because of their training, WANS members had become honorary staff of the District Ambulance Service as stretcher bearers and drivers.
The WANS worked remarkably hard on becoming fit and with Corporal Tom Lacey, as instructor, they attended squad drill on a weekly basis at the drill hall between Docker and Dobbs Street.
Marching for the War effort
They marched in public for the first time, together with the Voluntary Aid Detachment (VAD) and the Women’s Emergency Signalling Corp (WESC), on ANZAC Day in 1941.
The WANS marched on a regular basis and joined many Patriotic gymkhanas and street marches, as well as church parades for special occasions.
At the end of August 1941, the first NSW Instruction Camp was held in Sydney, near Turramurra, for a period of ten days. The camp was primitive and quite a shock for the six attending Wagga WANS members. On their return, Mrs Kath Higgins and Miss Cox reported on the experience and despite the discomfort they said they were looking forward to the next camp.
An interesting report regarding the camp, written by Kath Higgins, can be found in the Daily Advertiser on September 19, 1941. The WANS disbanded after the close of the war; however, the women would never forget their experiences.
References: “Wagga Wagga, A History” by Sherry Morris; “The Daily Advertiser” 1940-1944.
This article first appeared in the Riverina Weekender – 3 &4 October 2009
What you need to know about CSU Regional Archives
Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm.
Where are we?
The Blakemore Building on South Campus of Wagga Wagga University, access can be gained via College Avenue or Hely Avenue.
How can we help
Members of the public are welcome to visit our Search Room where professional archival staff can assist with enquiries. For those people unable to visit the Archives in person, staff can provide a research service for straight forward enquiries for a fee of $55.00 per hour including copying and postage.